Re: Equals, Less, Greater, etc; Confused by this simple output.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109840] Re: Equals, Less, Greater, etc; Confused by this simple output.
  • From: Simon <simonjtyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi RG,

The default assumption mathematica makes is that an unknown symbol
represents a complex number, which are not ordered.
Thus, while a==a is automatically evaluated, to quote the help files:
"Symbolic inequalities remain unevaluated, since x may not be a real
number:"

Interestingly a Simplify does not evaluate the inequalities but a
FullSimplify is smart enough to return True/False answers.

Simon