Re: How to Enable Automatic Recalculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109883] Re: How to Enable Automatic Recalculation
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 06:44:49 -0400 (EDT)

I think Daniel's analysis is pretty good, and I was a bit surprised that Dynamic
was raised as a possibility to solve this problem.  It would be possible, in
principle, to create an automated computational interface that keeps everything
up to date, but it would have to be in the context of a sequestered interface.

I do occasionally hear requests for Dynamic to behave differently...to
essentially bind calculations together invisibly for an extended duration of
time without the requirement of being displayed.  Such a construct wouldn't even
require a front end.  Maybe such an idea has merit, although I'm not convinced.
But it's well outside the mission of Dynamic, which is to efficiently bind state
for display and interaction.  If we ever did do such a thing, I would strongly
oppose calling it Dynamic.  It shares the notion of dependency tracking, but is
otherwise just a completely different concept.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group