Trying to do some stuff with JLINK ???

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg110009] Trying to do some stuff with JLINK ???
  • From: jalbers <jalbers at>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:23:31 -0400 (EDT)

I have been experimenting with JLINK trying to get it to work.

Looking at an example in a Java Programming Book, found the code to
display a message dialog box:
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,"Welcome to Java")

I am trying to get this to work in Mathematica but I am getting an
error message about arguments on the 4th line ???

k = JavaNew["javax.swing.JOptionPane"]
k@showMessageDialog["Welcome to Java"]

Also why does the LoadClass[] in my Mathematica 7 give error messages
for anything.  For example:
LoadClass["javax.comm.CommPortIdentifier"] and
LoadClass["javax.swing.JOptionPane"] both give error messages.

I don't know very much about Java.  What am I doing wrong? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks