Re: Balance point of a solid

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg113838] Re: Balance point of a solid
  • From: Andreas <aagas at>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 05:50:13 -0500 (EST)

Ray /Daniel,

I came across something last night on the Wolfram Mathworld site,

Cayley-Menger Determinant - A determinant that gives the volume of a
simplex in  dimensions.

This goes quite a beyond my experience, but I think it relates to both
Daniel's "... idea to find the "hyperarea" of the base, and multiply
by average of the heights." and Ray's solution.

Maybe a proof of Ray's solution passes through Cayley-Menger, but
Ray's seems somehow more elegant to my eyes.

Many thanks for your help.