Re: Mathematica 8 docs online now!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg113854] Re: Mathematica 8 docs online now!
  • From: Peltio <peltio at>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 05:03:59 -0500 (EST)

Sjoerd C. de Vries scriveva il 15-Nov-10 :
> Subject says it all: right now the doc pages of the new mathematica
> version 8 are online on the WRI reference section.

Lots and lots of new (and sometimes very advanced) stuff, but still -
to my knowledge (*) - no simple way to arrange a notebook's text and
input cells on multiple columns.
It seems that Mathematica can only have a simple linear layout,

|  text
|  formula
|  figure
|  text

like most books printed in 18xx and 19xx.

- Yes I'm aware one can create cumbersome tables and put text and
graphics in different columns. What Mathematica lacks (in my opinion, but maybe
I am the only one on Earth thinking that) is a New Kind of Layout.
Perhaps a new supercell structure that can accomodate multiple cells
(input, text, graphics...) in two or more (simply expandable) columns.

Just wishing.
Maybe the Front-end Gods will implement something like that in
Mathematica 14. :-]

(*) I hope to be proved wrong.