Re: reading different locations of a matrix specified by

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113874] Re: reading different locations of a matrix specified by
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:14:38 -0500 (EST)

Nasser,

The simplest and fastest by far is to use Extract:

In[1]:= A = {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9}}

Out[1]= {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9}}

In[2]:= Extract[A, {{1, 1}, {3, 3}}]

Out[2]= {1, 9}

You may want to check out a section in my book where I was addressing a very
similar
problem of efficient extraction of matrix diagonals, for an example of
application of
Extract in a similar setting:

http://www.mathprogramming-intro.org/book/node577.html

Regards,