Re: Combining VectorPlot3D and ParametricPlot3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114009] Re: Combining VectorPlot3D and ParametricPlot3D
  • From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:24:08 -0500 (EST)

In article <ic8afl$83h$1 at smc.vnet.net>, rscott <rscott at socal.rr.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to show a circle in a vector field in R^3.
>
> Here's my vector field:
>
> vectorfield01 = VectorPlot3D[{y, -x, 0}, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z,
> -2, 2},
>  VectorScale -> 0.1,
>  VectorPoints -> {9, 9, 5}]
>
> Here's my circle:
>
> circle01 = ParametricPlot3D[{Cos[t], Sin[t], 2}, {t, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
>  PlotStyle -> Directive[Thick, Black],
>  PlotRange -> {{-2, 2}, {-2, 2}, {-2, 2}}]
>
> Each of these individually gives me what I want, but when I try
>
> Show[circle01, vectorfield01]
>
> I get the error message
>
> Show::gcomb: Could not combine the graphics objects in Show[\!\(\*
>
> I've tried all kinds of combinations with Graphics3D[ ] etc.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Randy Scott
> Santiago Canyon College

It should work, and your example does work for me, yielding a vortex
with a black halo, so I don't know what the problem is.

I wonder if you have an invisible but bad character in the Mathematica file.  I
would put the example in a new notebook, manually retyping the Mathematica code,
and see if the problem goes away.

Another dodge is to quit the kernel, use Delete All Output from the Cell
menu, save, then evaluate notebook.

On the off chance that it depends on Mathematica version,  I am running Mathematica
7.0.1 on a  intel-based iMac running MacOS 10.6.4.

Joe Gwinn