Efficient search for bounding list elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114154] Efficient search for bounding list elements
  • From: David Skulsky <edskulsky at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:58:49 -0500 (EST)

I've been looking for a way to efficiently find the indices of the two
elements of a monotonically increasing list which bound a number.  For
example, if

a = Range[1000,5000,250]

and

x=1600

then I'd like this function (e.g., searchFunction[x,a]) to return
{3,4}, which correspond to the 3rd and 4th elements of a, which are
1500 and 1750, respectively.

I can easily do this in a loop, but in my application a can be very
large (hundreds of thousands or millions of elements) and this
operation needs to repeated thousands of times, so efficiency is
critical.

Thanks,

David Skulsky