Re: Mathematica 8: first impressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114158] Re: Mathematica 8: first impressions
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:59:52 -0500 (EST)

On 23/11/10 10:57, Daniel Lichtblau wrote:
> blamm64 wrote:
>> On Nov 20, 6:25 pm, Joseph Gwinn<joegw... at comcast.net>  wrote:

>>> Umm, 15.9 decimal digits *is* double precision floating point, which is
>>> what is meant by a machine real.
>>>
>>> An IEEE single (32-bit) float has a 24-bit mantissa (including the
>>> hidden bit), so its machine precision is Log[10,2^24]= 7.22 decimal
>>> digits.
>>>
>>> An IEEE double (64-bit) float (called a double in C/C++) has a 53-bit
>>> mantissa (including the hidden bit), so its Log[10,2^53]= 15.95 decimal
>>> digits.
>>>   [...]
>>> Joe Gwinn
>>>
>>> Ref:<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754-2008>
>>
>> Umm, 15.9 digits is double precision (64 bit) in *32* bit.  Umm,
>> double precision in *64* (128 bit) bit is quad precision in 32 bit.
>
> That's not really the case. You might be thinking that integer and real
> sizes are equated, but they are not. The IEEE standard makes clear that
> binary32 is single precision, binary64 double, binary128 quad. Caverat:
> standards change, and I do not claim to have seen the most recent one.
>
> Daniel Lichtblau
> Wolfram Research

Indeed, Mathematica seems to have followed the lead of most other
languages - e.g. Java - where the potential address space has become
astronomical, but the sizes of integers and reals have remained the
same. Some years back, this seemed strange to me, but I realised it
really makes sense - because default 64-bit integers simply waste too
much space, and are hardly ever necessary. It has also made the
transition between 32/64 bit software incredibly easy.

This makes particular sense on the IA64 architecture (as opposed to
Itanium) because there is no speed penalty for manipulating 32-bit integers.

In Mathematica, where integers change between hardware and software
implementations, this difference will be almost invisible. I would guess
that a fair proportion of applications that spill into 64-bit integers,
will also spill into even larger sizes.

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk