Re: understanding code

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg114196] Re: understanding code
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:31:44 -0500 (EST)

i[1] is in this context what is called "indexed variable". It can be used in
most cases where the variable can,
except in some where Symbol is required explicitly, such as a part
assignment or local variables in scoping
constructs or pattern names etc. The part assignment restriction is
illustrated by the following:

In[1]:= a[1]={1,2,3}
Out[1]= {1,2,3}

In[2]:= a[1][[2]]
Out[2]= 2

In[3]:= a[1][[2]]=0
During evaluation of In[3]:= Set::setps: a[1] in the part assignment is not
a symbol. >>
Out[3]= 0

Similarly with other cases where Symbol is required. I briefly discussed
indexed variables here:

In this particular case, however, since there is i[_] as well, you can also
interpret i as a function,
defined both in general and on some specific values of the argument. The
difference between
functions (pattern-based) and variables is somewhat blurred in Mathematica.

Hope this helps.