Re: 4 Gb are not enough ...

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg112808] Re: 4 Gb are not enough ...
  • From: Herman Kuun <oomkoos1 at>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 05:42:01 -0400 (EDT)

What you want to do is increase the heap size of the Java runtime Virtual
Machine. On my system Mathematica 7 (64bit) sets it by default to 236
Megabytes. After increasing it to 800 Megabytes I had no memory constraint
problems with a Gentoo Linux x86-64 operating system and 2 Gigabytes of ram.
I am not sure about Windows XP. It only uses a maximum of 3 Gigabytes ram
even with 4 G installed. If this is causing the problem I do not know.

However it is worth trying to increase the Java heap size.

and add the following lines:-
ReinstallJava[JVMArguments -> "-Xmx800m"];

Good Luck!