Re: A list based table join?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg113007] Re: A list based table join?
  • From: Leo Ditolaghi <leoditolaghi at>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 06:43:58 -0400 (EDT)

The variety of responses to my question are truly awesome, thank you!

It's clear that I have to do my homework on Mathematica syntax and
the use of pure functions.  Many of the responses from the mathgroup are
proving very instructive, thanks again very much!  As in any robust
environment, simple elegance is preferable for instruction, and then nuanced
serves efficiency and capacity as needed. No doubt the variety of responses
have given me much to consider and enjoy.

For me as a Mathematica noob, the use of something like

Select[x, MemberQ[y, #[[1]]] &][[All, 2]]

is really helpful, as it "says" more closely what it is that I intend;
I think the use of the pure function # & notation threw me for a
loop at first.

Thanks again!

Best regards to all,