local variables - Module, For loop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113011] local variables - Module, For loop
  • From: Sebastian Schmitt <sschmitt at physi.uni-heidelberg.de>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 05:15:04 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all!

(I recycle my disclaimer.)

I'm new to Mathematica with a background mostly in C++. Many times I
have the impression that my style is not natural-Mathematica
(Mathematicaesque so to say).

If I have a For loop in a function like this:

In[39]:= f[x_] := Module[{},
  For[i = 0, i != x, i++,
   Print[i]
   ]
  ]

In[41]:= f[2]

During evaluation of In[41]:= 0

During evaluation of In[41]:= 1

In[42]:= i

Out[42]= 2

I was surprised to find "i" being not local to the For loop. Do I have
to keep track of all my throw-away-variables and put them in the list of
local variables of the Module? I find it pretty tedious. Is there a
better way?

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian