Re: Slow image import

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113069] Re: Slow image import
  • From: Igor Antonio <igorantonio at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 04:29:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 9, 5:34 am, to <todu... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was trying to use Mathematica 7.0.1 for batch image processing.  I
> used the Import command to load 4000x2000 pixel tiff files.  Using the
> timing command, I noticed it takes about 0.95 second just to load the
> image !!!!  Using another system, I can do the same in about 0.15 s. =
 (about
> 6-7 x faster).
>
> Is there any way to speed things up ???  I already tried to first
> write the tiff image data as a raw binary file and loading it again.
> It still take about 0.7 seconds in that case.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

Hello Peter,

You'll be happy to know that import/export of TIFF has been revamped
for version 8, which will be released soon.  It is considerably faster
and much more memory efficient.  I have benchmarked timings 7x to 18x
faster (depending on the type of TIFF file being imported).  Same
applies to JPEG import/export.

Thanks,

Igor Antonio
Software Technology