Re: What is the ESC sequence for the "Matching Double Brakets"? From

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg113132] Re: What is the ESC sequence for the "Matching Double Brakets"? From
  • From: Michael <mcdt200 at>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 12, 6:52 pm, Gianluca Gorni <gianluca.go... at> wrote:
> On 11/ott/2010, at 11.28, Peter Breitfeld wrote:
> > "Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote:
> >> Mathematica Experts;
> >> What is the ESC key stroke combination to enter the "Matching double
> >> brackets" into my notebook?
> >> I can't find the ESC sequence for this. Are these documented somewhere=
> >> I remember that before when one moved the mouse over one of those
> >> things, then the ESC sequence would show up at he bottom of the palett=
> >> (Just noticed that some do show the ESC sequence in the ballon help th=
> >> comes up when the mouse is over them, but some do not. The ballon help
> >> only shows the name,  but not the ESC sequence as well. Strange).
> >> thanks
> >> --Nasser
> > The escape sequences are esc[[esc  and esc]]esc. But you I prefer to
> > add a keystroke for that. I use "Ctrl <" to produce the opening and
> > closing double bracket and to position the cursor between the brackets.
> > To do that, open the Mathematica file in an
> > editor and add this code:
> >  Item[KeyEvent["<",Modifiers->{Control}],
> >      FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`SelectedNot=
> >        "\[LeftDoubleBracket]\[RightDoubleBracket]",After],
> >              FrontEndToken["MovePrevious"]}]]
> > WARNING: Be careful when changing this file. Make a copy of it before
> > altering. If you made an error (e.g. missing a comma) Mathematica will
> > not start.
> > // Peter
> > --
> > Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany --
> I tried to adapt your KeyEvent to get "matching double quotes"
> on my Macintosh system:
> Item[KeyEvent["\"",Modifiers->{Command,Shift}],
>      FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`SelectedNoteb=
>        "\"\"",After],
>              FrontEndToken["MovePrevious"]}]]
> but it does not seem to work. What am I doing wrong?
> Gianluca

Thanks Peter, this works fine for me.  I didn't realise one could
assign key shortcuts but that is fantastic to know now.
I think the problem other users have found is with '<'  requiring CTRL
plus the SHIFT button as well, since it is a shift character.
If the SHIFT key is omitted, it is correct that nothing happens.

Beware of conflict with other keyboard shortcuts; Nasser, remember
CTRL + x is already the keystroke for "cut"

It's nothing new, but I modified this code to be a bit more intuitive
for me:  I have CTRL + [  to produce the left and right double

Best wishes,