Re: Suggestions for improving speed
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg113331] Re: Suggestions for improving speed
- From: Pierre Albarede <pa.news at free.fr>
- Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:04:12 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In Mathematica, procedural programming (with variables) is at least 10 times slower than functional programming (without variables and with well chosen constants). (Moreover, functional programming uses less memory space.) Variables, function calls and tests especially take a lot of time. Please read the documentation on functional programming. Moreover, compiling might earn you another factor 10. There is a Compile function. Hence, the rough factor 100 that you get, as compared with the Mathematica function. Good luck.