fyi, A nice package for making plot ticks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113335] fyi, A nice package for making plot ticks
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

I always had hardtime with ticks for log plots. Today I found a nice
package for doing that and more, and was easy to use. I thought I'll
mention that, in case if someone else did not know about it.

In Mathematica, when making a Log plot, the ticks do not come out in
standard format of labels as 10^n.

I'll show a small example of how to use this package. It can be found at

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Demos/5599/

However, I think I found a more recent version of the same package here:

http://wnsl.physics.yale.edu/levelscheme/

(version 3.45). Becuase I downloaded both, and looked at the source code
of CustomTicks.m in both, and the second one above seems more recent.

I downloaded the above zip file, and extracted its content, then did

Get["C:\\LevelScheme-3.45\\CustomTicks.m"];
data=Table[{i,i^2},{i,100}];

ListLogLogPlot[data]                        (* Mathematica command*)
ListPlot[Log[10, data], Ticks -> LogTicks]  (*using CuromTicks *)

You can see the difference in this screen shot

http://12000.org/tmp/ticks_for_Mathematica/image.png

Even the minor ticks look better and more clear.

Thank you for the authors of this package.

--Nasser