Re: More Mathematica CAN'T do than CAN???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113357] Re: More Mathematica CAN'T do than CAN???
  • From: Pierre Albarede <pa.news at free.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 06:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Oct 24, 12:05 pm, Nicholas Kormanik <nkorma... at gmail.com> wrote:
> A few evenings ago I was speaking with a "learned mathematician" at
> the local university here.  In the course of our wide-ranging talk, he
> stated that Mathematica is only capable of doing less than half the
> problems in mathematics today.
>
> I was floored at his assertion.  I have only scratched the surface of
> all that Mathematica can do.
>
> There's tons more that it CAN'T do???

Mathematica does not do anything because only YOU are doing (with
Mathematica).

Mathematica is a good tool for all the mathematics that are isomorphic
to long computations, that is experimental or technical mathematics.
Reduce can also be used for proving, except that most often you will
not have an explicit proof.  Mathematica can hardly help you for
inductive work (that is building a theory or a model), although it can
help you expess and try your ideas.  Some excellent mathematicians
still do not use computers for doing mathematics.  I guess they have
colloborators who use computers for them.

Mathematica can be used outside mathematics, for example, writing,
graphics, interfaces, music...

Mathematica is a generalist tool : it is good but possibly not best in
nearly every domain.  When you are good at Mathematica, you can often
develop your own solutions faster than you would need to learn any
specialized tool.

Pierre Albar=E8de