Re: Sneaky white space

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113395] Re: Sneaky white space
  • From: Sam Takoy <sam.takoy at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 05:14:43 -0400 (EDT)

________________________________
From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
To: sam.takoy at yahoo.com; mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Sent: Tue, October 26, 2010 10:49:12 AM
Subject: [mg113395] Re: [mg113388] Sneaky white space

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 05:35:41 -0400 (EDT), Sam Takoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working nicely along, when all of a sudden Mathematica tells me that
> essentially it can't NIntegrate[Cos[a], {a, -Pi, Pi}]. After 30 minutes
> of searching, I discover that I have an invisible TextCell[""] attached
> to the expression.
>
> First of all, I don't know what I did to put it there. What DID I do?
> Some inadvertent Ctrl-Key combination?
>
> Second, TextCell[""] is mostly invisible and hard to find. Is there a
> way to make it visible or to find it more easily?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>

> Sam

It's hard to offer any definitive comments without knowing more about what
happened, but I'll offer a bit of speculation.

Possibly you may have accidentally pressed Ctrl+9 at some point while editing
the input?  Or maybe this got snagged as part of some copy/paste operation.  Did
you maybe copy the template from the help viewer?  Or copy output from some
other input you had involving TextCell?

A TextCell which is truly empty ought to disappear on its own unless it was
created by evaluating TextCell[].  It also wouldn't go away if it had spaces in
it.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

Thank you. I may have done one of those things, but didn't TextCell anywhere.
Perhaps, Print[] is related?

And also, I guess my question is - is it possible to make a TextCell visible?
Like set it's background to red or border to another color?

Thanks again,

Sam