Re: Puzzled by a puzzle

Fred,

If you look at the first two of your solutions, they are identical except that the combination of F and Z has been reflected. These two letters form an interlocking shape that is symmetric and remains the same under reflection. According to http://isomerdesign.com/Pentomino/ (see bottom of page, under Limitations of the Program"), solutions that are related by such elementary transformations are related and counted as one. I am no expert of any sort (first time I heard about pentominos, but found the problem fascinating) so you may still want to investigate this a bit further...

Themis