Re: Puzzled by a puzzle

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg113489] Re: Puzzled by a puzzle
  • From: Themis Matsoukas <tmatsoukas at>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:06:55 -0500 (EST)

If you look at the first two of your solutions, they are identical except that the combination of F and Z has been reflected. These two letters form an interlocking shape that is symmetric and remains the same under reflection. According to (see bottom of page, under Limitations of the Program"), solutions that are related by such elementary transformations are related and counted as one. I am no expert of any sort (first time I heard about pentominos, but found the problem fascinating) so you may still want to investigate this a bit further...