Re: FindRoots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112231] Re: FindRoots?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 04:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

I do not find any reference to or instance of FindRoot in the RootSearch
code.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Andrzej Kozlowski [mailto:akozlowski at gmail.com]

This is, of course, not an argument against having in Mathematica the  sort
of capabilities that Gianluca wrote about. Rather, I don't think the
existing RootSearch actually offers them, since I think it relies on the
built in FindRoot function. Although FindRoot is indeed intended for solving
numerical equations I do not think it can be reliably used with
InterpolatingFunction objects that arise as solutions of differential
equations. I say this on the basis of my own experience. There is often a
way to avoid this by using the "EventLocator" value of the option Method in
NDSolve.

Andrzej Kozlowski