Re: Matrix with number of rows / columns not fixed
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg112253] Re: Matrix with number of rows / columns not fixed
- From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
- Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 02:00:01 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
As far as I know this is not possible. Matrices need not be of fixed size and can be extended and chopped as you wish, but never have a symbolic size. Cheers -- Sjoerd On Sep 6, 10:14 am, Hayley <hayley0... at gmail.com> wrote: > I'm new to Mathematica and would like to know if I can specify a > matrix where the number of rows / columns is not fixed. > > As a simple example, how can I input a diagonal matrix with elements > (s1, s2, ..., sL) where I don't specify what L is? > > I'd like to multiply together a few such matrixes and find the inverse > of the product, and would ideally like Mathematica to give me the > answer in terms of summations from 1 to L. > > Hope this sounds possible...!