Re: Help with Solve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112385] Re: Help with Solve
  • From: ADL <alberto.dilullo at tiscali.it>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 03:11:31 -0400 (EDT)

What probably is puzzling you (and also puzzled me at first) is to
miss that your equations imply a relationship among the apparently
independent parameters (n, m, v, r, g).

In fact, since Cos[x]^2 + Sin[x]^2 == 1,  it must be ((m v^2)/(n r))^2+
((m g)/n)^2==1.

Mathematica, tends to explicitate this last relationship, thus making
the output cumbersome.

If you look at:

eq1 = Sin[x] == a;
eq2 = Cos[x] == b;
cons = {a > 0, b > 0, x \[Element] Reals};
sys = Join[{eq1, eq2}, cons];
sol = Reduce[sys, x]

and then to the resulting expression of Tan[x]:

FullSimplify[Tan[x /. ToRules@Last[sol]], Most[sol]]

this may become clearer.

What would be desirable is perhaps a less "mixed-up" solution form.

ADL