Word wrap and page breaks in printed notebooks?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112400] Word wrap and page breaks in printed notebooks?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 05:13:41 -0400 (EDT)

I'm enmeshed in the situation where a printed notebook doesn't match
what I see on the screen, even though I have Format >> Word Wrapping set
to Wrap at Page Width for all cells, and File >> Printing Settings >>
Show Page Breaks selected for the screen content.

The general effect is as if all the content sent to the printer has been
shrunk about 60% before being sent to the printer, so that lengthy lines
or wide Input cell contents wrap much further along in the line in the
printout than on screen; text paragraphs and Input cell contents as seen
in the printout therefore have fewer lines than in the on screen
display; and the printout has fewer pages than indicated by the page
breaks on screen.

I won't try to give details of all my settings, since I don't know which
of them may be relevant  (?).  But, what have I screwed up, or what do I
need to change or reset to make printed output match (in every detail)
what's seen on screen?  (globally, for _all_ my notebooks)

This is Mathematica  7.0.1.0 on a MacBook running OS 10.5.8.