Connecting to Oracle via tnsnames.ora

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg112414] Connecting to Oracle via tnsnames.ora
  • From: Jan-Erik Brundell <jan-erik.brundell at>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 04:36:19 -0400 (EDT)

I need to be able to connect to an Oracle database (11g) from Mathematica 7.0.1, I assume using JDBC is the way to go.

My method of connection to the Oracle database is via a tnsnames.ora file.

When searching for related information, I have found:

 "As of the 10.2.x JDBC driver we now allow you to connect to your database using a tnsnames.ora entry from JDBC THIN. Previously this was not possible without fully qualifying the description alias. To do this in 10.2.x JDBC driver you can do it one of 2 ways.

Option 1:

Pass a system property as follows at the command line\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN

Option 2:

How can I do either of these from within Mathematica (or does anyone have any other option)?

Thanks in advance

/Jan-Erik Brundell