Re: PolarPlot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg112440] Re: PolarPlot3D?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 04:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

With Presentations you can use the DrawingTransform3D command. He is an
example. The first plot is in r, phi coordinates and the second plot is in
Cartesian coordinates.

f[r_, \[Phi]_] := r Cos[2 \[Phi]]

 {Draw3D[f[r, \[Phi]], {r, 0, 2}, {\[Phi], 0, 2 \[Pi]}]},
 Axes -> True,
 AxesLabel -> {r, \[Phi], f}]

 {(Draw3D[f[r, \[Phi]], {r, 0, 2}, {\[Phi], 0, 2 \[Pi]}] //
     Normal) /. DrawingTransform3D[#1 Cos[#2] &, #1 Sin[#2] &, #3 &]},
 Axes -> True,
 AxesLabel -> {x, y, f}]

David Park
djmpark at

From: Alexei Boulbitch [mailto:alexei.boulbitch at]

Dear Community,

sometimes I need to plot a 3D plot in cylindrical coordinates. That is
in {r,/phi,z}. Typically I use a boring way: express the r and /phi in
terms of x and y and apply Plot3D.

Is there a shorted way to directly plot a function f=f[r, phi] such that
the graph is in Cartesian axes?

Regards, Alexei

Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist
Material Development

ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby
notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly
prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original
transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.