Re: New Version 3 Presentations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112532] Re: New Version 3 Presentations
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 05:37:00 -0400 (EDT)

The "old stuff" in Presentations is still good, too!

For example, if you want to do even just draw graphics in the plane,
it's often more natural to describe geometric objects by means of
complex numbers instead of by length-2 lists of reals. The complex
graphics functions of Presentations support that.

About the new stuff:

The new PresentationsPalette, which among other things pastes function
templates in the same sort of way that the Mathematica Classroom
Assistant does, is very useful to beginners. At least my complex
analysis beginners are finding it so.

That palette includes a bonus: a button "OptionsFinder" that pops up a
separate little palette. Now when you have an function expression in
your notebook and you want to know what options are available for it,
you just click the button on the OptionsFinder palette to get a pop-up
palette showing all the options and their defaults. This is quicker than
evaluating an Options[funcname] expression in your notebook. And what's
even better, if you put the cursor in your notebook where an option
should go for the function in question, the button on the pop-up palette
for an option opt inserts into your notebook an expression of the form
opt -> defaultValue.

That OptionsFinder works not only for Presentations functions, but for
built-in Mathematica functions as well.

(I used to be skeptical about the utility of palettes; I thought they
might just delay learning the actual things to type. But Helen Read's
postings to this group about how her students eased into typing out
Mathematica expressions by beginning with the ClassroomAssistant palette
have convinced me otherwise. And for a function in Presentations that's
new or insufficiently familiar to me, I often find the quickest way to
get started learning it is to insert a template from the palette.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305