Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112615] Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 04:21:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> I have Mathematica installed on a Mac running Snow Leopard and would
> occasionally like to use it from another machine.
>
> I know how to use ssh and tunneling of X11.
>
> I know that MathKernel is the CLI on Mac.
>
> But is it possible to run an X11 enabled Mathematica front end on Mac
> OS X and thereby getting it to display remotely?
>
> I think the problem is that the ./Mathematica program in Contents/
> MacOS can't use X11, but I hope there is some undocumented or hidden
> feature.
>
> I will appreciate any help you can give!

I have not heard that there is such a frontend for MacOS, but that
doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there. On the other hand I think you
probably will be happier to use something like vnc, which does give
remote access to the graphical user interface of the operating system,
so you could use other programs as well. Of course you can also tunnel a
vnc connection through ssh. If both ends run MacOS there might be even
more optimized protocol for remote access, but that I don't know. I have
found a german website that suggests that a vnc server and client is
built in, but I don't know for sure. I think if you search the web for
something like "remote desktop mac" you should find a lot of
information. Even if you are new to the topic, I think it will be easier
to set up and maybe even work better than an X11 connection would.

hth,

albert