Washington DC Area Mathematica Special Interest Group

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112706] Washington DC Area Mathematica Special Interest Group
  • From: "Bruce Colletti" <bwcolletti at verizon.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:02:09 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica SIG
(http://web.me.com/hrbishop.pmsi)

MEETING

1 October 2010, 7:30 am

Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC)
8301 Greensboro Drive
McLean VA
Southern Corner of Westpark Drive and Greensboro Drive
Agenda

*********** Special Notice ***********

The members of the Washington DC Area Mathematica Special Interest Group
thank Roger Germundsson (Director of R&D), Conrad Wolfram (Director of
Strategic and Int'l Development), and Stephen Wolfram (Founder & CEO) for
speaking with us at Wolfram Research's Data Summit on 10 September, held in
Washington DC.

We especially thank Cynthia Girdler (National Account Manager) for inviting
us to (and setting up) this special Friday session and then remaining with
us.  She also started our SIG by bringing founding members together at the
2006 Wolfram Technology Conference.  She still keeps a watchful eye on us.

Roger generously spoke well beyond the allotted time (in fact, we opted out
of the Summit in order to maximize time with him).  His decision to hang
with us was a reminder that Wolfram Research cares as much for their user
community as extending Mathematica (and in science, "Everywhere getting to
the frontier", to paraphrase Stephen's 2004 statement).   Thank you, Roger,
for your visit and immensely invigorating talk.

Conrad visited briefly and asked for our perspectives on diverse matters.
We wanted to hold him captive but he had to return to the Summit.  Conrad,
thank you for joining us.

Stephen also visited briefly to make sure everyone was in the throes of
vigorous discussion.  Although we were, Stephen stirred things up even more
with his own magic.  Thank you, Stephen, for swinging by and sharing your
thoughts.  The Wolfram Team is superb.

1.  Prepared Talks

"Decay Kinetics of Radon-222", by Dan Martinez

ABSTRACT.  Dan will demonstrate Mathematica's dynamic controls in plots of
the time-based abundance of Radon-222 and some of its progeny.

"Mystery Talk", by David Vasholz

ABSTRACT.  Dave dangles only this:  the talk will be a focused topic or a
medley.

"Modeling Interactive Diffusion with Mathematica", by Nicholas Mecholsky
(Note:  This talk is tentative since Nick may not be able to present)

ABSTRACT.  I will highlight my progress toward simulating interactive
Reaction-Diffusion equations.   Specifically, I will lay the framework for
diffusion where a source term is provided by the clicking or dragging of the
mouse.  Problems and future directions are included.

2.  Mathematica Gems and Discoveries

Sharing of Mathematica programming oddities
Applications of Mathematica to some areas of science
Something recently read and worth sharing

3.  Mathematica Questions, Possible Approaches and Discussion

4.  New Business

Review candidate SIG mission statements

Discuss the 10 September special meeting

Select next meeting presentation, time and place

---------------------

Directions to 8301 Greensboro Drive, McLean VA (tall, boxy and white SAIC
Enterprise Building at south corner of Westpark Drive and Greensboro Drive):

>From the Beltway, go northwest on Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) and proceed past
Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road). Turn right onto Westpark Drive (Gosnell Road
in the other direction). Turn right at the next light onto Greensboro Drive
and then right into the parking lot. Visitor's Parking is adjacent to
Westpark Drive.

A SIG representative will meet you in the lobby.

Please arrive no later than 6:50AM if you wish to join us for a dutch-treat
breakfast, and no later than 7:20AM to attend the meeting only. The desk
officer will ask for a driver's license before issuing a visitor's badge.