Re: Root Finding Methods Gaurenteed to Find All Root Between (xmin, xmax)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112744] Re: Root Finding Methods Gaurenteed to Find All Root Between (xmin, xmax)
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 04:12:57 -0400 (EDT)

An addendum and some corrections to the previous reply. I found the time to read carefully your points 1 and 2. Actually, the points you make are quite sensible and indeed it would be possible to implement the entire algorithm using only interval arithmetic. In other words, you can subdivide and use interval arithmetic to test if the function itself is non zero on a sub-box and if the (generalized) jacobian is non-zero everywhere on the sub-box. In the case of equations without multiple roots this will indeed eventually lead to a complete solution.

The biggest difference seems to be that Semenev's algorithm requires interval arithmetic to be used only once for the entire box and not at each step of the subdivision. The "pure" interval arithmetic algorithm requires applying interval arithmetic to each box that results from subdivision. Moreover, with the original algorithm it is possible to give a (theoretical) bound for the number of subdivisions that will be required to completely isolate all the roots. I do not know how to do that with the "pure interval arithmetic" approach.

Besides, of course, the Semenev method does not actually require interval aritmetic. If we are given in any way upper bounds on the values of the derivatives of the function (I mistakenly wrote about "upper bounds of the values of the functions" - of course I meant upper bounds on the values of the derivatives) and on the generalized jacobian, we can implement Semenev's method. There may be more efficient ways to compute these bounds than by using interval arithmetic - I just don't know how to do that in general in Mathematica.

Having said that, I think it would be interesting to check if the Semenev approach is actually significantly faster thann using "pure" interval arithmetic. I will try to do just this once I implement the new corrected version of Semenev's method.

Andrzej Kozlowski

On 28 Sep 2010, at 15:04, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> [...]
>
> As for the rest of your questions,: I am in the process of writing all of this up carefully and implementing it in Mathematica. Since I am writing it elsewhere I see little point in duplicating my labour by also repeating it all here, and moreover in ASCII. If you wish I can send you the written up argument and implementation when I finish it. It should really be a simple task if I weren't so busy starting a new job. But in any case, it is virtually impossible to discuss mathematical proofs with someone who has not seen the relevant paper and does not have it in front of him. For example, instead of referring to Lemma 9, I would have to restate Lemma 9 and, moreover, do so using ASCII symbols. This I do not intend to do.
>
> So now some more detialed answeres. I will deal very briefly with  questions 1) and 2) since I don't understand them at all. What do you mean by "apply interval analysis directly to the functions"? This makes no sense to me.
> Semenev proves two results. One is, that if the functions satisfy certain conditions in a box, then there is no root in the box. The second is that if the functions satisfy another sets of conditions, then there can be at most one root. (This is all under the assumption that there are no "multiple roots" in the box). These conditions involve upper bounds on the values of the functions and the values of the derivatives in the box. Any upper bounds will do; the better the upper bounds the faster the algorithm will work.  Interval arithmetic is used to find the upper bounds.
> Are you proposing to use interval aritmetic to do actual root finding rather than upper bound finding? How?
>
> Point 3. Here there is a confusion possibly resulting from some of my vague statements in past post on this topic (its dangerous to discuss mathematics in this way) but also because you clearly have not looked at Semenev's paper. Semenev shows that if the jacobian does not vanish in an entire box, then in that box there cannot be more than one root. This is only a lemma which he uses in his proof - it is not an assumption in his theorem! He does not assume that the jacobian never vanishes in the entire rectangle - that would be nonsense. He only assumes that there are no repeated roots in the rectangle. He proves however that if the jacobian does not vanish at all in some sub-rectangle than that sub-rectangle contains at most one root. However, as stated this is only true in the one dimensional case.
>

> In fact, the one dimensional argument is trivial and can easily be given here. It goes like this:
>
> Suppose in an open interval we have f(x0)==0 and f(x1)==0 and the derivative never vanishes in this interval. Use the mean value theorem like this:
> f(x1)==f(x0) + (x1-x0)f'(theta) where theta is some number between x0 and x1. Since f(x1)==f(x0)==0 this means (x1-x0)f'(theta)==0 hence f'(theta)===
0. But we are assuming that f'(theta) does not vanish *anywhere* in the interval, hence we have a contradiction. So there can be at most one root in this interval.

> Unfortunately, Semenev simply assumes that  this argument also applies to a functions from R^n to R^n and, in particular, that essentially the same statement of the mean-value theorem holds, with the derivative replaced by the Jacobian matrix (the equation is now a vector equation). This seems plausible and managed to get passed the referee of the paper and me (I reviewed for in Math Reviews) but it is well known that one cannot find a single vector theta which will make this statement hold. Instead, we have to proceed "component-wise", considering a different theta for each component f_i or the function f == (f1,f2,...,fn). We can still write the same sort of equation but now it looks like this:
>
> f(x1)==f(x0) + GJ(theta_1, theta_2,...,theta_n).(x1-x0)
>
> where GJ is the "generalized Jacobian". The generalized jacobian is a mat=
rix obtained by taking the usual matrix of partial derivatives of all the f=
unction components with respect to tall the variables, but evaluating each =
component at a different point. Hence the generalized Jacobian matrix is a =
matrix valued function of n-vectors. The usual Jacobian is a matrix valued =
function of one vector (with n coordinates) obtained by composing the gener=
alized Jacobian with the diagonal map.

> In all the statements in Semenev's paper it is necessary to replace ordin=
ary Jacobian with the generalized one. Everything else remains valid. The c=
ase n==1 remains unchanged.