Re: Combinatorica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117859] Re: Combinatorica
  • From: "Jon Harrop" <usenet at ffconsultancy.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 02:40:33 -0500 (EST)

"janos" <janostothmeister at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:in1fno$4c5$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> We have a lot of serious problems with Combiantorica...

Indeed, from what I can gather many of the functions in Combinatorica have
never worked. I was recently struggling to get NetworkFlow to do anything
but hang Mathematica even on the most trivial inputs when I discovered that
this question has been asked repeatedly over the years:

https://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/5280780aaebc2158

and it is on the list of known bugs:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~sriram/Combinatorica/knownBugs

In particular, the BellmanFord, NetworkFlow, ShortestPath,
UnrankPermutation, GraphJoin, GraphProduct, GraphSum and SetEdgeWeights
functions are known to either not work at all or not work properly. The
first three are some of the most fundamental graph algorithms...

Cheers,
Jon.