Re: Off Topic: E-Mail Security in this Group

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117842] Re: Off Topic: E-Mail Security in this Group
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:35:12 -0500 (EST)

On 3/31/11 at 4:07 AM, btreat1 at austin.rr.com (DrMajorBob) wrote:

>I agree with Helen; spam isn't that big an issue. It never really
>was, even in the bad old days. My e-mail address has been out there
>for ten years, and I get maybe ten spam messages a week.

Since I have what I consider an effective filter system, I agree
spam isn't a significant issue. But the level of spam I am
seeing on this account that I only use for receiving list mail
for this group and one or two others is quite a bit higher than
you are indicating. For example, looking at my logs, I see I
received 23 spam messages on this account alone today. And if I
look at all my email accounts, I got 124 spam emails since noon
yesterday out of a total of 231 email messages.

If it was not for the filter system I have set up that
segregates spam very efficiently, email for me would be unusable.

I am not suggesting, the amount of spam I get is typical or due
to my participation in this group. I am suggesting the level of
spam messages you and Helen report may be atypically low. I
would bet the level of spam messages seen by our esteemed
moderator is likely at least as high as what I see.

[I get more than 1,000 spams a day every day and have for many
 years.  One filter reduces this to 10-20 and another filter to perhaps
 1-2 that I actually see.   These are used to "train" the
 filters further. -- Moderator]