Re: defining a integer greater than one

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117892] Re: defining a integer greater than one
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:05:26 -0500 (EST)

It is unlikely that the condition is nonsensical but rather that Mathematica is giving a result that is more general than you were expecting. Below it assumes that n can be complex until you say otherwise.

Integrate[x^(n - 2), {x, 0, 5}]

ConditionalExpression[5^(-1 + n)/(-1 + n), Re[n] > 1]

Integrate[x^(n - 2), {x, 0, 5}, Assumptions -> n > 1]

5^(-1 + n)/(-1 + n)

Assuming[{n > 1}, Integrate[x^(n - 2), {x, 0, 5}]]

5^(-1 + n)/(-1 + n)

Simplify[Integrate[x^(n - 2), {x, 0, 5}], n > 1]

Also, you can use compound assumptions such as

Element[n, Integers] && n > 1

or

{Element[n, Integers], n > 1}

Bob Hanlon

---- Karina Erlang <karina.erlang at yahoo.de> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Mathematica and cannot seem to achieve the following. I want to integrate an expression but Mathematica gives me a nonsensical if answer. (If Re(n)>1 then etc). How can I define n being greater than one before that integration. I can only achieve to make it an integer with the Element[] function. Thanks guys.