package construction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117953] package construction
  • From: Jack L Goldberg 1 <jackgold at umich.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:45:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks;

Something puzzles me. (Actually, a lot puzzles me but thats a story
for my psychologist).  Considering the incredible sophistication of
Mathematica, why is it so mysteriously hard for a beginner to write a package
and store it properly so that it can by accessed as easily as built-n
packages?

Has anyone put there mind to develop a template to make this stuff
automatic. As a model, consider digital cameras, which have automatic
mode for camera dummies like me, and a manual mode for the serious
enthusiasts.  I envisage a template in which the pertinent questions
are asked of the developer: Name of package, name of commands for
users and the syntax of these commands, the private code and etc. Mathematica
then takes this info, does all the routine stuff needed to have a
package ready to go.

I suppose that this has not been done because it is far harder to do
than I imagine it to be. But when I consider the sophistication of
Resolve, I can't believe this is harder.

Jack