Re: why extending numbers by zeros instead of dropping precision is a good idea

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117985] Re: why extending numbers by zeros instead of dropping precision is a good idea
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:05:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/4/2011 3:30 AM, Noqsi wrote:
> On Apr 1, 1:34 am, Bill Rowe<readn... at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>
>> It seems FixedPoint is doing something behind the scene that
>> avoids the problem you describe above.
>
> Well, of course, a specialized function can use specialized error
> estimation methods.

FixedPoint can be written in about one line.  It needs a stopping
criterion, SameTest which in Mathematica can be any function you choose
or the system's mysterious "automatic".  There is probably nothing much
special in the default SameTest.  I expect it is something like

SameTest[x0_,x1_]:= Abs[(x1-x0)]  < Abs[x0]*10^(Precision[x0]) ;; we
assume x0 is not zero; else use x1 on rhs; If they are both zero,
obviously the fixed point has been reached...

  I suspect this test is best executed in fixed precision, but maybe it
doesn't matter much.