Re: CDF browser plugin and Wolfram library archive

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118040] Re: CDF browser plugin and Wolfram library archive
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 17:58:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/9/2011 7:13 AM, George Woodrow III wrote:

> I agree that it is not user-friendly -- mostly a wast of time to load the file in the browser when all you want it to save it.
>
> george

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm so far not really seeing the point
of the browser plug-in. It is extremely slow for the plug-in to start up
and open a file in the browser, often to the point of hanging or even
crashing Firefox. And I don't really get why I would ever want to open a
.nb in the browser, when I have Mathematica installed. I'd like to
download the file or open it directly in Mathematica. For people with
the Player only, I can see opening up files in the browser plug-in, or I
suppose if people start commonly embedding CDFs into a webpage (a la
embedded Flash video), but other than that, I don't get it.

I have set the .nb file action in Firefox back to the old behavior of
opening the file in Mathematica on most of my computers. It's still set
to open .nb files in the browser plug-in on our classroom computers, and
I see the students getting annoyed when they forget to do a right-click
Save Link As, and end up with the file opening up -- very slowly -- in
Firefox. We might change the setting the next time we re-image the
classrooms, but I fear it will sow confusion when students are working
on their own laptops (which will by default open .nb's in the browser
plug-in).

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont