Re: broadcasting of Equal ? (newbie question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118164] Re: broadcasting of Equal ? (newbie question)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 03:55:05 -0400 (EDT)

This indeed seems to be an oversight in the reference page for Solve.
Perhaps due to the fact that Threading Equal over lists -- which,
technically, is what Solve is doing -- came relatively late to
Mathematica (version 5?).

Definitely something worth reporting to Wolfram Research as a suggestion.

There actually is something about this in the documentation, but in a
different place: tutorial/SimultaneousEquations. About 2/3 or 3/4 down
the page there you'll find a box with caption "Ways to present
simultaneous equations to Solve". The third of the three ways listed
there is with a list on the left of == and a corresponding list on the
right. And just one example:

   {{3, 1}, {2, -5}}.{x, y} == {7, 8}

   Solve[%, {x, y}]

To my mind, that example is not optimal in that it ought to be put
directly, or eventually, in the form:

   Solve[ {{3, 1}, {2, -5}}.{x, y} == {7, 8}, {x, y}]

Or perhaps even more directly in the form:

   Solve[{3x + y, x - 5y} == {7, 8}, {x, y}]

And, in any case, mention and example of such implicit Threading should
go on the reference page for Solve, too.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305