Sharing numerical data along with a Mathematica notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118196] Sharing numerical data along with a Mathematica notebook
  • From: Andrew DeYoung <adeyoung at andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:33:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I use Mathematica a lot to manipulate large lists of numerical data
(rather than another system, because I find Mathematica's plot options much
easier to understand and use).  Often, I like to share my Mathematica
plots (including the raw data) with others.  I typically send the raw
data (such as an Excel file or CSV file) and the Mathematica notebook
with the import commands and the plotted data.  However, this can be a
little complicated, because then my collaborators have to either make
sure to put the Excel file in the same directory as the Mathematica
notebook when they detach it from my email, or I have to put a command
like:

fileName=SystemDialogInput["FileOpen"]
Import[fileName]

which allows the user to use the Windows interface to select where on
their hard drives the Excel file is.  The slight problem with this is
that the user cannot then simply re-execute the entire notebook (to
update the plot after changing their parameters) without again using
the Windows interface to set fileName every time.

Of course, another option is to include the raw data in the same
Mathematica notebook, but this can lead to large and cluttered
notebooks.

My question is, is there any better way that I can saving my numerical
data and sharing it with collaborators?

Thank you,

Andrew DeYoung
Carnegie Mellon University