Re: Outline navigator?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118242] Re: Outline navigator?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:55:44 -0400 (EDT)

In effect, yes -- provided that you structure your notebook into
sections, subsections, etc. (which is easy). By default, this then
creates cell "groups". For example, the entire notebook is a cell group;
each section is a subgroup of that; each subsection of a section is a
subgroup of it section group; etc.

Then you can simply "collapse" all cell groups or any particular cell
groups to just their headings. And open any or all such with a click.

So what you have, in effect, is an outline. But that outline is actually
directly embedded with the body content of that outline.

There is also a way to cause sections or subsections, etc., to be
automatically numbered in sequence (and the numbers will automatically
adjust if, e.g., you insert a new section between two existing sections).

Of course you can, if you wish, create a separate outline at the
beginning (or end, or anywhere) in a notebook. But then you need to
insert in-notebook hyperlinks to the corresponding sections, etc., of
the notebook.

One special case: If you choose the SlideShow option for a notebook,
then a provided palette allows you to create with a click a Table of
Contents in a separate window from the notebook itself, and you can
automatically move to a slide from the corresponding entry in that list
of slides.

 From your questions, it sounds like you are either not yet a
Mathematica user or else are a new user. Then I recommend you go through
some of the Tutorials about notebooks -- included in the Documentation
Center if you have Mathematica or, if you don't, the same thing on line at:

   http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/guide/Mathematica.html

And I recommend the on-line tutorial (and other) screencasts at:

   http://www.wolfram.com/broadcast/

Especially, e.g., the Tutorial "Presenting in Notebooks" there.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305