Re: trouble printing to PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118330] Re: trouble printing to PDF
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 05:41:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:09:57 -0400 (EDT), AES wrote:
> In article <iom5i6$2f$1 at smc.vnet.net>, John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The problem is, we can only get the system to draw these controls at the
>> resolution of the screen.  Which is fine for exporting raster formats,
>> but
>> causes problems when you're exporting to a vector format like PDF, or
>> to a
>> much higher resolution device like a printer.
>>
>> So, for printing and exporting to PDF, we have an alternative "generic"
>> set
>> of  control appearances.  They don't look as pretty as most of the
>> platform-dependent appearances, but they're absolutely resolution
>> independent.
>>
> Haven't yet gotten very far into creating plots within a Manipulate,
> then exporting randomly selected instances of those plots (i.e., plots
> made at different control settings) to PDF, but could see wanting to do
> a lot more of this.  So:
>
> 1)  Possible option in Manipulate that will cause it to always draw
> everything in resolution independent form?

That's what it does by default (sorry if I wasn't clear about this).  The
problem is that the resolution independent form doesn't look like what you see
on-screen.

> 2)  Or, template for an added button control within a Manipulate (or in
> a separate palette) that will cause currently active Manipulate to
> export its output to PDF in res independent form (with options to show
> or not show all the controls)?

Choosing not to show the controls by default when printing/exporting to PDF
might not be a bad idea.  I wonder what other people would think of that.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group