Re: Limit[f[x], x->a] vs. f[a]. When are they equal?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118458] Re: Limit[f[x], x->a] vs. f[a]. When are they equal?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:29:07 -0400 (EDT)

To the contrary, I would not in the least like a system that did not
have +Infinity and -Infinity along with ComplexInfinity.

The first two are the "points at infinity" adjoined to the real line to
form its two-point compactification. And then limits as x->+Infinity or
as x->-Infinity, meaningful for a function of a real variable, or that
becomes in that context restricted to the real line, are just particular
examples of the more general notion of limit of a net in a topological
space. Here a "neighborhood" of the adjoined point +Infinity, for
example, is just the complement of a compact set; and then a basic
neighborhood of +Infinity is a rightward-opening ray).

ComplexInfinity, on the other hand, can represent the single "point at
infinity" that is adjoined to the complex plane to form its one-point
compactification. And then limits as x-> ComplexInfinity is again just a
special case of the more general concept of limit of a net. Here a
"neighborhood" of ComplexInfinity is the complement of a compact subset
of the complex plane; and then a basic neighborhood is the complement of
a closed disk (say, a closed disk centered at the origin).

The "More Information" section on the Mathematica ref page for Limit
makes rather clear that a directional limit is at issue.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305