Re: TransformedDistribution, distribution of a mean

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120723] Re: TransformedDistribution, distribution of a mean
  • From: Paul von Hippel <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 06:16:13 -0400 (EDT)

Never mind. The question can be answered using the MGF. To solve more complicated problems, it would be nice if TransformedDistribution could handle this kind of Sum. But I guess it can't.

Sent from my phone.
Please excuse my brevity.

On Aug 6, 2011, at 7:48 AM, Paul von Hippel <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your thorough explanation. How would you show, in Mathematica, t
hat the mean of M iid standard normal variables is distributed NormalDistribution[0,1/Sqrt[M]]?