Odd glitch opening Mathematica notebook on a Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120834] Odd glitch opening Mathematica notebook on a Mac
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:05:13 -0400 (EDT)

I recently dragged some older Mathematica notebooks created maybe
three years ago out of their folders and onto my desktop to run them
once again.

Each time I try to open any of these notebooks on my current model
MacBook Pro running fully updated Snow Leopard and Mathematica
8.0.1.0, I get a beep, and a "Why the Beep" window appears containing
a Mathematica icon and the message:

     The file you tried to open was not found
      or could not be opened.                  [OK]

. . . but fortunately, as soon as I click the OK button, the notebook
opens fine, and apparently operates fine.

These notebooks have .nb extensions on their file names and show
Mathematica as their default app in Get Info.  I encounter the same
problem if I duplicate any of these notebook files (Cmd-D), or do a
Save As on them once they're open, and then dbl-click on the resulting
new file.  Ditto if I shut down and then restart Mathematica and then
Open the notebook from Mathematica's File menu.

Creating a new notebook in Mathematica, then Copying and Pasting all
the cells from old notebook into the new one, does seem to solve the
problem.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

[I'd be unhappy to learn that this has something to do with my current
version of Mathematica 8 having a different activation code than the
earlier version 6 or 7 that I used to create these notebooks.]