Re: more efficient method of importing and plotting large (> 100mb) files.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120874] Re: more efficient method of importing and plotting large (> 100mb) files.
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 08:12:33 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/13/11 at 6:50 AM, andrew.spott at gmail.com (Andrew) wrote:

>I have a number of large data files that I want to import and plot,
>however mathematica seems to have a serious issue with these.  Is it
>possible to get mathematica to not plot every point with
>listplot? If so, how do I speed up the importing and ploting of
>these files?

Yes, it is possible to plot fewer points. For example, I can do:

data=RandomReal[1,100];

to generated a list of 100 data points and then do:

ListPlot[data[[;;;;10]]]

To plot every 10th point in the list. Another approach would be
to so something like

ListPlot[Mean/@Partition[data,10]]

  But, as to whether doing something like this will actually
solve your issue is impossible for me to determine. I or others
could give a better answer if you provided more details of what
it is you are trying to do such as the format of the files.