Re: Order of polynomial terms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120879] Re: Order of polynomial terms
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 08:13:29 -0400 (EDT)

You may use PolynomialForm and set TraditionalOrder to True:

SetOptions[PolynomialForm,TraditionalOrder->True]

expr=x^2+3x+7
expr//PolynomialForm

But beware, PolynomialForm works like MatrixForm, so

expr=x^2+3x+7//PolynomialForm ----> x^2+3x+7
Then
13 expr //Expand will not expand, but

13 expr[[1]] //Expand//PolynomialForm ----> 13x^2+39x+91

or better always use like this, as you do with MatrixForm, Columm etc.

(expr= x^2+3x+7)//PolynomialForm

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de