Re: Cataloging apps for Finder files? (Mathematica notebooks especially)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120919] Re: Cataloging apps for Finder files? (Mathematica notebooks especially)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 01:26:12 -0400 (EDT)

In article <j2ae5t$9cf$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Mac's built-in Spotlight catalogs notebooks already.
>
> Bobby

Spotlight, as best I understand it anyway, is only a _search_
application.

It builds its own (single) private catalog (of your entire HD) behind
the scenes to make its searches faster, and you can Save and review
the results of a Spotlight search made at a given time, or (I believe)
save a set of search settings and redo that search at a later time.

But I'm not aware that you can access or edit or annotate or print
from that catalog yourself (not readily) -- nor that you can build or
use individual catalogs of user-selected items in Spotlight.  At
least, I haven't found anything about such capabilities in Pogue's "OS
X for Dummies".