Re: Cataloging apps for Finder files? (Mathematica notebooks especially)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120934] Re: Cataloging apps for Finder files? (Mathematica notebooks especially)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:53:29 -0400 (EDT)

In article <j2cvbv$hhv$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> The following may be due to my Mac-newbie ignorance....
>
> 1. Can Spotlight somehow list the functions defined in a notebook?
>
> 2. Can Spotlight provide output that can be manipulated in Mathematica
> itself?
>
> On 8/15/11 2:25 AM, DrMajorBob wrote:
> > Mac's built-in Spotlight catalogs notebooks already.
> >
> > Bobby

As a supplement to my earlier response asserting that Spotlight was
only a _search_ tool and not a useful _cataloging_ tool:

>From further exploration it appears that Mac OS X  from 5.0 onward
does have a large repertoire of more powerful but also somewhat arcane
capabilities for creating and manipulating Finder metadata using
Spotlight and other tools.

I'm still looking for useful tutorials and documentation about these,
however.