Re: What do I do to get better curves?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120951] Re: What do I do to get better curves?
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at me.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 03:24:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi.  My guess for =93inaccurate=94 is that the plot is missing some solutions.
If so, my best guess is that ContourPlot is having a hard time at the boundaries from Complex Numbers to Real Numbers.
For example, the graph appears not to pick up that k = w is a solution.

{a[k,k],a[w,w]}
{0,0}

{a[1,1],a[5,5]}
{0,0}

Since there are no direct solutions, I assume a numerical approximation is used.

{a[1.,1.],a[5.,5.]}
{0. + 0.*I, 0. + 0.*I}

It just sees complex, skips this, and moves on.

a[3, 2.9999]
0. - 0.3757639094419213*I

a[3, 3.001]
0. + 3.752788853703563*I

a[3., 3.]
0. + 0.*I

It just doesn't see a real solution at k=w.

Just one of many solutions not found would be something like this:

a[2.015168629, 4]
-0.009620

a[2.015168630, 4]
0. - 0.001293*I

Just a hair difference, and the solution is Complex, and is most likely skipped by ContourPlot.

Something I found interesting:
ContourPlot seems to find the points where the transition is from a positive number to a negative number(and other way around)
It can't find those that transition from Complex to Real.
My guess is that this would be hard to do at Machine Precision.

MatrixForm[Table[Rationalize[Sign[a[k, w]]],
   {k, 7, 0, -1}, {w, 0, 10, 1/3}]]

Dana DeLouis
$Version
8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (November 6, 2010)