Re: SameQ to check for simplified radical expressions... doesn't work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120976] Re: SameQ to check for simplified radical expressions... doesn't work
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:15:57 -0400 (EDT)

Here are your three expressions:

{Simplify[Sqrt[360]], Sqrt[360], Hold[6*Sqrt[10]]}

{6 Sqrt[10], 6 Sqrt[10], Hold[6 Sqrt[10]]}

As you can see, the first two are identical, and the third is not.

So the "problem" is that Simplify isn't doing anything.

Now consider:

FullForm@Sqrt[360]
Times[6,Power[10,Rational[1,2]]]

Now imagine this one with 360 in place of 10:

FullForm@Sqrt[10]
Power[10,Rational[1,2]]

LeafCount /@ {Sqrt[360], Sqrt[10]}

{7, 5}

ByteCount /@ {Sqrt[360], Sqrt[10]}

{264, 184}

The second is obviously simpler, hence Sqrt[360] is simpler than 6
Sqrt[10].

But Mathematica doesn't see it that way, and apparently, neither do you.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com