Limits of FindIntegerNullVector[]?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121036] Limits of FindIntegerNullVector[]?
  • From: Greg Childers <gchilders at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 03:15:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm having trouble solving an integer relations problem.  The help
document indicates that FindIntegerNullVector[] should work, but I'm not
having success.  Here's the basis set I'm using:

A = Fibonacci[1049];
u = Fibonacci[174];
v = Fibonacci[175];
basis = Join[{A}, Table[u^(6 - i) v^i, {i, 0, 6}]];

There's a known simple solution.

soln = {-1, 1, 0, 15, 20, 30, 18, 5};

In[61]:= soln.basis
Out[61]= 0

And the norm doesn't appear too large.

In[63]:= Sqrt[soln.soln] // N
Out[63]= 43.3128

But I'm not having any success with FindIntegerNullVector[].  Both of
the statements below fail to find the solution.

FindIntegerNullVector[basis]
FindIntegerNullVector[basis, 50]

Any suggestions?

Thanks,